Our Awards

  

Mondulkiri Province

Mondul Kiri joins the frontier province of Rattanak Kiri in the northeastern extreme of Cambodia. It is about 543km from Phnom Penh and despite being the largest in land area; this is the most sparsely populated province in the country and can be reached by land and air from Phnom Penh. Mondul Kiri is very rich in natural resources especially hard minerals such as gold and gems which can be found in all five districts of the province.

Known also for its forested hills and powerful waterfalls, Mondul Kiri is one of the most popular destinations for Eco-tourism in Cambodia.

More than 80 percent of its population is made up of tribal minorities; the majority of them being from the Phnong tribe. The remaining 20 percent are collectively made up of Khmer, Chinese and Muslims. Tourists are often fascinated by the traditional Phnong houses in which you’ll find various types of traditional gongs and big jars which are said to be more than a thousand years old. These Jars and gongs are among the most valuable possessions of indigenous communities both in traditional and spiritual as well as material terms.

Places of Interest:

Busra Waterfall
Busra waterfall is located in Pich Chenda district about 43 kilometers northeast of Mondulkiri provincial town, Sen Monorom. Busra is considered by many to be the most beautiful waterfall in Mondulkiri. The waterfall is divided into three stages:
-    First stage: The waterfall is 8 to 12 meters high and 15  meters wide in rainy season and 10 to 15 meter wide in dry season..
-    Second stage: The waterfall fall is 15 to 20 meters high and 20 meters wide in rainy season and 18 to 25 meters high and 13 meters wide in dry season. The second stage is 150 meters from the first stage.
-    Third Stage: The speed of waterfall is faster than the second stage. This stage can not be reached because it is in the thick forest. There are no marked paths and dangerous wildlife inhabits the area.

Sen Monorom Waterfall
Sen Monorom waterfall is located in Sen Monorom district, about 5 kilometers northeast of the provincial town. The road to the waterfall passes numerous rubber, coffee and cashew plantations. The site is very popular with local people during holidays and national festivals, because it is close to the provincial town. This waterfall also has three stages:
-    First Stage: The water here flows slowly because the waterfall is only 1-meter-high and 2-meter-wide.
-    Second Stage: The water flows faster here. In rainy season, the waterfall is 6 to 7 metrs high and 8 meters wide, and in dry season, it is 7 to 9 meters high and 4 to 5 meters wide. There is a place to relax on the riverbank.
-    Third Stage: The waterfall is 1.5 meters high and 1 kilometer from the second stage.

Romanear Waterfall
Romanear waterfall is located in Sen Monorom district, about 10.5 kilometers north of the provincial town. The waterfall is ner many rubber, coffee, cashew, mango, avocado and pres tree plantations.

The waterfall is 5 metrs high and 10 meters wide in rainy season, in dry season, it is 6 meters high and 8 meters wide and flows smoothly past tall shade trees and toward a large basin that is suitable for swimming or bathing.

Chhrey Thom Waterfall
Chrey Thom waterfall is located in Sen Monorom district, about 34 kilometers from the provincial. In dry season, the waterfall is 15 meters high and 2 meters wide, in rainy season, it is 11 meters high and 8 meters wide. The waterfall is near a plantation of Srolao trees and a big, branchy Chrey tree.

The provincial tourist service is working with the local authority to prepare this site as a tourist destination in place of Busra waterfall, which is inaccessible during rainy season.

Riverside
Riverside is located in Koh Nhek district, about 150 kilometers north of the provincial town. The site is along the Sre Pok River and features many small islands. The sand here is red and golden, making the site popular with the local people in Koh Nhek district.

Pine Tree Plantation
On the highlands in Sen Monorom district, about 6 kilometers from the provincial town, is a large pine tree plantation where hundreds of towering pine tree, planted before 1970, are growing  in rows. Fallen needles from the trees turn the ground into a golden carpet. The needles are so numerous that visitors can lie on the ground without disturbing them.

Pine trees are believed to have been planted before then-Prince Norodom Sihanouk founded his Sangkum Reastr Niyum regime, at which time the province was created.

In addition, according to hunters in the province, there are more than 60 waterfalls, both big and small, making Mondulkiri province a potential source for hydro electric power.